Pages

Monday 4 October 2010

A polite estimate of my weight...

Mr H. and I had an early start this morning as we had sensibly (?) decided to make the x-ray appointment for 8.30am in Southampton, to avoid having to wait too long.   We were right, as he wheeled me quietly through the virtually deserted hospital we agreed that it felt a bit like being on a station early in the morning, before the rest of the world arrives.

The first bit of good news was that rolling onto my 'bad' side for a lateral x-ray was not as excruciating as it was two months ago, when I clung on to the edge of the bed gritting my teeth and muttering 'get on with it for **** sake' under my breath.

By the time we got through to the waiting room for the Generic Fracture Clinic the rest of the world was arriving but we only had a 20 minute wait.   The surgeon on duty was the one I was originally under and who did one of the operations, so that was a good start.

The second bit of good news is that the bone is growing well, we saw the x-rays and it was very obvious on them (I will post them once I fork out to buy a copy!); I can now progress to partial weight bearing, about 30% of my body weight.... he made a polite estimate of my weight to give me the example.



So once home I got out the bathroom scales and stood on it until it read between 20-25kg, to see what it feels like. Surprisingly it didn't hurt at all, all I got was a bit of muscle twinge above my knee, so that is a relief.   It feels rather odd though, having to concentrate on how much weight I put on it when I walk; it has certainly slowed me down because I was whizzing around on my crutches doing toe-touch!  I supppose I will get used to it.  

So that's me until 6th December when they see me again.

Onwards and Upwards! :-)

5 comments:

  1. Very great news for your recovery! Your return date is scheduled on a lucky day, if you celebrate St. Nicholas Day too! so now it's still easy does it and life should be almost new again fairly soon!... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely positive visit. So pleased for you. Definitely onwards and upwards. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your leg is getting better. Progress!

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud of you! Not easy, but the results were good. Heal quickly. Keep positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Keep the positive attitude--you're progressing nicely, really you are! :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)