Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2010

History

I saw an old boyfriend today, from 24 years ago.  I only got a glance at him walking across the car park, as I drove past in someone else's car.  I had to double-take because I thought he was in the Caribbean, so he was completely out of context.  But it was definitely him; despite the very grey hair, I'd recognise that smug smile anywhere!  

Part of me wanted to stop and say hello, but more of me didn't.    What would we talk about?   Actually I know what he'd say, and it would make me uncomfortable and wish I hadn't spoken to him.

Some people are best consigned to history.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, there is nothing worse than that horrible moment when you meet with someone you've not seen in an age and after you have done the quick catch up realise that you have absolutely nothing to say to each other!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit like people finding you on Friends Reunited. After a quick tour of their life since whenever there really isn't anything else to say.
    And yes, some people are definitely left where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the 'living in Australia, loving it, 3 gorgeous children' blah blah blah. I think that if you were meant to stay friends then you'd have kept in touch anyway, like my current best friend who I've known since we were 18. I now prefer to discover new friends :-)

    With this particular person, I'm sure his mind isn't any cleaner than it was 24 years ago; and as far as he's concerned we had unfinished business, and I could do without comments about how 'well' I look! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)