Pages

Thursday 11 February 2010

The last thing on my mind

As I approach the final stretch of my first year of Open University study, and I have signed up for my second year (Exploring Psychology), I have been thinking about where I want to go from there.  During the second year I need to decide on which direction I want to go:  straight Psychology, or with Criminology, or Sociology?   I dabbled with the idea of Philosophy but quickly dropped that after reading a 'quick guide' to the subject - it's all just too deep for me!

Recently I have been thinking, somewhat ironically as it would seem to those who know me, that I want to work with children... not in the normal 'working with children' way but in a way that might help those with difficult backgrounds and help prevent them turning to crime.   My criminology course last year was fascinating, and I read a lot about criminial children and youth; the recent newspaper articles about the two boys who tortured two others made me angry with their parents and I wanted to help those two boys, not 'lock them up and throw away the key'. 

As I said to himself this morning, studying criminology and then working with adults seems to be rather like 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted' - surely better to work on the future generations?

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense. Must be harrowing though. I think Sophie's friend Sarah says that a child's character/temperament/way of dealing with stuff is fixed before 3 years old. I find that too hopeless but would be fascinated to know what the theories are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds rather defeatist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. More to do with the huge importance of early years I think. And how little attention is paid to them.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)